Have you ever looked at a Craig’s Hut image and thought to yourself that you would like to be the one behind the lens? Or what it would be like to camp out under a trillion star covered sky whilst dining on a campfire made roast? Look no further as this is the tour for you!
Craig’s Hut was first built 1981 as a prop for The Man From Snowy River films, as the home of Jim Craig, the main character in the movie. In 1993, Craig’s Hut was re-opened for visitors after a complete restoration due to neglect after filming ceased. In 2006 Craig’s Hut was destroyed by the Great Divide wildfire and again rebuilt, opening for visitors in 2008. There are magnificent views of the surrounding mountain ranges from the hut, which is set on a grassy knoll surrounded by snow gums. The hut is now an iconic landmark and a symbol of Australia’s settler history.
On this tour you will have the opportunity to capture this iconic hut in a spectacular sunset setting whilst being treated to a roast dinner prepared on the campfire. For the early risers the hut will be as equally spectacular at sunrise. (All weather permitting)
The following day after breakfast we will visit the very photogenic Bindaree Falls, Lake Cobbler and Dandongadale Falls (Victoria’s longest falls with a 255m drop), tumbling off the Cobbler Plateau
See TRIP REPORTS for previous tours
- $250 per person if passengers are in tour vehicles (limited seats)
- $275 for 2 passengers per vehicle (tag along) Additional passengers incur an additional $50 charge
- Detailed info pack supplied after booking
- Camping gear can be supplied by High Country Adventure Tours for an additional fee.
Things you need to bring on the trip
- All of your camping equipment. Tents, swags, camp chairs etc • Food & water for 2 days.
- Meals – Participants to bring food for 2 lunches and snacks. Roast dinner and a cooked breakfast supplied by High Country Adventure Tours
- Sun screen, camera, batteries and or charger, tripod, sunglasses, hat Any daily medications you may need
- Warm clothes
- Rain coat
- Comfortable walking shoes
Required setup if bringing your own 4wd
- All Terrain tyres minimum requirement on all vehicles
- Vehicles to have front and rear rated recovery points.
- All vehicles to have high and low range gearing.
- It is preferred vehicles have UHF radio communications
- Tour vehicles will have recovery gear
- If you have your own recovery gear, bring it along.
- Snorkel is recommended
- Spare tyre
Required Driver Experience
- Easy – Medium track conditions.
- Beginner to intermediate.
Points for consideration
- This tour is from November to June only due to Seasonal Closures
- No pets. Camping will be in National Parks.
- In case we can’t light a campfire due to a Total Fire Ban (TFB) High Country Adventure Tours will have gas cooking available
- Drop toilets are available
- If you don’t have a UHF radio, hand held radios can be supplied by High Country Adventure Tours.
- Alpine weather can be unpredictable
- This tour is November – June only due to seasonal road closures.
- If you are unable to attend a trip you are required to notify High Country Adventure Tours 7 days prior the nominated trip commencement. All monies paid for the trip will then be transferred to an alternate tour at the guest’s preference.
- High Country Adventure Tours reserves the right to alter or cancel any tour, in which case no liability shall fall on High Country Adventure Tours. If High Country Adventure Tours decides to cancel the tour for reasons other than Park closure due to weather conditions, all money paid will be transferred to another trip at the guest’s preference. If High Country Adventure Tours is forced to cancel or delay a tour due to Parks Victoria or Department of Land Water & Planning (DELWP) closing the Park due to weather conditions or otherwise, all monies paid for the trip will be transferred to an alternate tour.