PERSONALISED TOUR ITINERARY
Have you ever looked at a Craig’s Hut image and thought to yourself that you would like to be the one behind the lens? Or what it would be like to camp out under a trillion star covered sky whilst dining on a campfire made roast? Look no further as this is the tour for you!
Craig’s Hut was first built 1981 as a prop for The Man From Snowy River films, as the home of Jim Craig, the main character in the movie. In 1993, Craig’s Hut was re-opened for visitors after a complete restoration due to neglect after filming ceased. In 2006 Craig’s Hut was destroyed by the Great Divide wildfire and again rebuilt, opening for visitors in 2008. There are magnificent views of the surrounding mountain ranges from the hut, which is set on a grassy knoll surrounded by snow gums. The hut is now an iconic landmark and a symbol of Australia’s settler history.
For this tour we have selected some sensational 4wd tracks that offer a challenge for both vehicle and driver with a reward of spectacular High Country views at the end of each one with the 1742m summit climb of Mt Stirling being the highlight. On this tour you will be visiting no less than 9 High Country Huts all varying in ages and built for various purposes. At camp you will have the opportunity to capture the iconic Craigs Hut in a spectacular sunset setting. For the early risers the hut will be as equally spectacular at sunrise. (All weather permitting)
This 4wd tour is perfect for families to experience the real aussie bush! Also a great a opportunity for the 1st time four wheel driver wanting to test out their vehicle and driving skills as well as experiencing some fair dinkum aussie history!
See TRIP REPORTS for previous tours
- CONTACT US.
- Detailed info pack supplied after booking
- Itineraries come with detailed maps, directions and track notes. GPS waypoints of places of interest such as cattleman huts, historical sites, waterfalls, campsites and various vantage points for spectacular mountain views.
- All of your camping equipment. Tents, swags, camp chairs etc • Food & water for 2 days.
- Meals – Participants to bring food for all meals and snacks and water for two days.
- Sun screen, camera, batteries and or charger, tripod, sunglasses, hat and any daily medications you may need
- Warm clothes
- Rain coat
- Comfortable walking shoes
- All Terrain tyres minimum requirement on all vehicles
- Vehicles to have front and rear rated recovery points.
- All vehicles to have high and low range gearing.
- UHF radio communications
- Recovery Kit.
- Snorkel is recommended
- Spare tyre
- Easy – Medium track conditions.
- Beginner to intermediate.
- This tour is from November to June only due to Seasonal Closures
- This tour starts and finishes in Mansfield
- No pets. Camping will be in National Parks.
- Drop toilets are available
- Alpine weather can be unpredictable
- This tour is November – June only due to seasonal road closures.
- For bookings get in touch with us via the CONTACT PAGE.
Things you need to bring on the trip
Required setup if bringing your own 4wd
Required Driver Experience
Points for consideration